- Noted for: new wealthiest woman when you look at the European countries within her time; King regarding France double, married to a couple of leaders during the series.
- Occupation: sovereign Duchess away from Burgundy
- Dates: January twenty-two, 1477 – January nine, 1514
- Known as: Anne de- Bretagne, Anna Vreizh
- Mother: Margaret out-of Foix, child away from King Eleanor out-of Navarre and you can Gaston IV, Number off Foix
- Father: Francis II, Duke out-of Brittany, who fought having Queen Louis and you may Charles VIII from France so you’re able to remain Brittany independent, and you can who secure Henry Tudor who’d escaped The united kingdomt and perform later on become King Henry VII away from England.
- Member of our home out-of Dreux-Montfort, tracing ancestry back once again to Hugh Capet, this new French king.
- Sibling: A more youthful brother, Isabelle, died within the 1490
Anne regarding Brittany Bio
Within the 1483, Anne’s father developed having their own to help you get married the fresh new Prince from Wales, Edward, child regarding Edward IV out-of England. You to definitely exact same season, Edward IV passed away and you may Edward V was briefly king until his brother, Richard III, grabbed the latest throne as well as the younger prince and his sibling vanished and are usually assumed to possess come killed.
A unique you’ll husband is actually Louis out-of Orleans, but he was currently married and will have to score an annulment to help you marry Anne.
Into the 1486, Anne’s mother died. Their own dad, with no men heirs, developed that Anne perform inherit his headings and lands.
From inside the 1488, Anne’s father try obligated to indication a pact that have France stating one to none Anne neither their unique aunt Isabelle could marry without having any consent of your king from France. From inside the month, Anne’s father passed away for the any sort of accident, and Anne, rarely older than ten years old, are left his heiress.
Alain d’Albret, titled Alain the nice (1440 so you can 1552), attempted to plan a marriage having Anne, hoping new alliance which have Brittany manage enhance their energy up against France’s royal expert. Anne refused his proposition.
From inside the 1490, Anne wanted to wed the fresh Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian, who were an ally away from their own dad in his attempts to keep Brittany independent out of French handle. The newest deal specified you to definitely she’d remain their particular sovereign name because the Duchess out-of Brittany during the their particular marriage. Maximilian was actually hitched to Mary, Duchess off Burgundy, in advance of she died within the 1482, leaving an effective son, Philip, his heir, and an effective daughter Margaret betrothed to help you Charles, son regarding Louis XI out of France.
Charles, Louis’s young buck, turned queen out-of France as the Charles VIII. His sibling Anne got supported due to the fact their regent in advance of he was old. As he achieved their vast majority and governed without having any regency, he delivered soldiers to help you Brittany to quit Maximilian out-of completing their matrimony in order to Anne away from Brittany. Maximilian has already been assaulting into the The country of spain and you may Main Europe, and you can France managed to quickly subdue Brittany.
Queen off France
Charles put up that Anne perform get married him, and you will she concurred, in hopes that the arrangement will allow Brittany tall freedom. They hitched for the December 6, 1491, and you may Anne is actually crowned King from France towards March 8, 1492. In being King, she was required to give-up their particular label just like the Duchess off Brittany. Next matrimony, Dominicans bride service Charles had Anne’s wedding to Maximilian annulled.
The wedding contract between Anne and you may Charles given one to whoever outlived additional would inherit Brittany. It also specified when Charles and you may Anne had no male heirs, and you will Charles passed away earliest, one Anne create get married Charles’ successor.
Its child, Charles, grew up in Oct away from 1492; the guy passed away from inside the 1495 of one’s measles. Yet another child died soon after birth and there was basically a couple almost every other pregnancies conclude from inside the stillbirths.